1st ever LISTENING COMPREHENSION BEE exam
"Listening is about understanding what one heard. A must for any good student". - Debashis Pati.
Here are 10 audio clips for Class 1.
"When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen." - Ernest Hemingway.
So, we wish to push your child to listen better ... with concentration.
LISTENER BEE is expected to be the "push".
Child has to listen to an audio clip and answer multiple choice questions.
Do not listen to more than one audio clip at a time.
The question sets are provided after Audio Clip 10 on this webpage.
Click on each audio clip and then immediately do the corresponding Question Set
with speed within 5 minutes. Do not read the Question Set before listening to
an audio clip.
Listen to an audio clip only once before doing it's Questions Set.
Practice these multiple times with sufficient time gap.
Audio clips in the exams will be different from these.
|# 1 : Audio Clip
|# 2 : Audio Clip
|# 3 : Audio Clip
|# 4 : Audio Clip
|# 5 : Audio Clip
|# 6 : Audio Clip
|# 7 : Audio Clip
|# 8 : Audio Clip
|# 9 : Audio Clip
|# 10 : Audio Clip
What follows are question sets for each of the above audio clips.
# 1. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 1
1. How many princes were there?
A. Five B. Three C. Two
2. How were the princes?
A. Old B. Young C. Baby
3. Who was the most learned?
A. Youngest B. Eldest C. None of them
4. What did the eldest like?
A. Physical ﬁtness B. Small animals C. Both A and B
5. What was two kilometer away?
A. Temple B. Castle C. Garden
6. Where were the rare species of trees?
A. Palace B. Castle C. Botanical garden
7. What did the eldest do in the morning?
A. Jog B. Horse riding C. Yoga
8. Which bruised animal was there?
A. Rabbit B. Dog C. Lamb
9. Who had attacked the bruised animal?
A. Leopard B. Cobra C. Dog
10. What was the shrub used for?
A. To beautify B. To hide C. To make X-mas tree
# 2. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 2
1. Who was Mrs Tripathi?
A. Grandma B. Neighbour C. Cousin
2. When did I pass by her ﬂat?
A. Today B. Saturday C. Sunday
3. Whom did I see at Mrs Tripathi’s ﬂat?
A. Her cousin B. Her daughter C. Her sister
4. Why was Threesha in pain?
A. Having fever B. Coughing badly C. Sprained ankle
5. Where did we take Threesha?
A. Nurse B. Surgeon C. Homeopath
6. Who gave the injection?
A. Doctor B. Nurse C. Compounder
7. What was Threesha not supposed to have?
A. Ice cream B. Cold drink C. Both
8. In how many days was Threesha ﬁne?
A. One B. Two C. Three
9. Which parlour did we visit?
A. Beauty B. Food C. Ice cream
10. What happened the day after the visit to the parlour?
A. Fever B. Coughing C. Stomach ache
# 3. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 3
1. On which day did we go out for lunch?
A. Friday B. Saturday C. Sunday
2. How did we go from home to the restaurant?
A. By taxi B. By auto C. Walking
3. What was served to welcome us?
A. Cold drink B. Butter milk C. Juice
4. Then the ______ card was given.
A. Rate B. Visiting C. Menu
5. Did the lunch arrive immediately?
A. Yes B. No C. Can’t say
6. What did we share in our family group?
A. Menu B. Welcome drink C. Selﬁes
7. We attended to calls while having lunch?
A. Yes B. No C. Yes, one call only
8. We talked about the ........... Spelling bee exam.
A. Just over B. WIZ National C. Forthcoming
9. Which program was costly?
A. Thali B. Orientation C. Dessert
10. Who dozed oﬀ at the nearby park?
A. Mom B. Siblings C. Dad
# 4. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 4
1. I am ... for some time now.
A. Out of town B. Hungry C. Sick
2. How is my room?
A. Cosy B. Comfortable C. Both
3. What could I see from my room?
A. Kitchen garden B. Upvan lake C. Lane
4. The ﬂowers were ........ and the bees were buzzing.
A. Falling B. Blooming C. Dead
5. Who passed on the lane ﬁrst?
A. Girl B. Boy C. Mr Taneja
6. What is the one word for “a late morning meal eaten instead of breakfast and lunch”?
A. Super B. Brunch C. Meal
7. Why do we go to Upvan lake?
A. For eating B. Get water / umbrella C. For ﬁshing
8. Who was handsome and had evening tea with us?
A. Our neighbour B. Mr Taneja C. Fisherman
9. Why was it said, “How I wish I get well now”?
A. To go out B. To meet Mr Taneja C. To go ﬁshing
10. Whom did I see humming?
A. A girl B. A boy C. None
# 5. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 5
1. In which month were we to meet?
A. December B. January C. February
2. Why did we plan to meet?
A. Visit our school B. Visit Capital Hospital C. Visit school teachers
3. I suggest you come from Kendrapada by .....
A. Bus B. Car C. Train
4. Where were we to have lunch?
A. School B. Hospital C. Home
5. Where were we to go ﬁrst?
A. School B. Hospital C. None of the two
6. Which ﬂower will be more in the bouquet?
A. Orchid B. Rose C. Tulip
7. How many teachers were we to meet at school?
A. None B. Two C. Three
8. The hospital is only 4 ..... away from the school.
A. Kilometer B. Mile C. Hours
9. Were the teachers to be informed about our visit?
A. Yes B. No C. Can’t say
10. What is one word for a period of ten years?
A. Century B. Decade C. Years
# 6. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 6
1. What has happened?
A. Best B. Worst C. Unknown
2. I was selected for the next round.
A. No B. Yes C. Can’t say
3. This time I had done very well in the ..... round .
A. Oral B. Final C. Written
4. What is blamed for the failure?
A. Trick B. Luck C. Exam
5. What got shattered due to the result fo the exam?
A. Dreams B. Exam C. Glass
6. What is the antonym of happiness, felt by my parents?
A. Happy B. Sad C. Glad
7. Who informed the grandparents about my result?
A. None B. I C. My parents
8. Who were to accompany me for the ﬁnal exam?
A. Parents B. Grandparents C. Friend
9. Why was Aanya being told all this?
A. Get relief B. Friend for long time C. Both the above
10. 'Catch up' is a phrasal verb used. What was I to do after catching up?
A. Long evening walk B. Short evening walk C. Have tea
# 7. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 7
1. Where did I see the message?
A. SMS B. e mail C. whatsapp
2. What was the message about?
A. Russian doll B. Russian ballet C. Russian circus
3. In which month was the discussed event?
A. December B. February C. January
4. What was to be booked?
A. Russia B. Program C. Ticket
5. For whom I had planned to buy ticket?
A. Myself B. My sister C. Both of us
6. Which words represent ‘a fast selling item‘?
A. Hot coﬀee B. Hot cake C. Hot dog
7. Where do I plan to reach before time?
A. Opera House B. Ticket window C. Friend’s place
8. Convey my regards to your ...... .
A. Goodself B. Parents C. Grandparents
9. Whom was I informing?
A. My B F F B. My sister C. My parents
10. How did I ask for the message to be sent?
A. whatsapp B. Telephone call C. Letter
# 8. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 8
1. Which event was it about?
A. New Year 2017 B. New Year 2018 C. Lakeview
2. Where was the event to be help?
A. Banquet B. Rooftop C. Basement
3. What did all night long mean?
A. through the night B. through the day C. tonight
4. How many DJs were mentioned?
A. One B. More than one C. None
5. Does mocktail have a tail?
A. Yes B. No C. Can’t say
6. Which tracks were to be played?
A. Hollywood B. Tollywood C. Bollywood
7. How many course dinner was mentioned?
A. Five B. Thali C. Seven
8. There was mention of ...... brunch..
A. Supplementary B. Complimentary C. Through the night
9. What is usher in ‘usher the New Year?’
A. Announce B. Party C. Brunch
10. New Year party is a/an .... event.
A. Daily B. Monthly C. Annual
# 9. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 9
1. When did the event shared by me happen?
A. Today B. Yesterday C. Tomorrow
2. What was saved by me?
A. Money B. Time C. Life
3. I heard cries from the ... .
A. Hut B. Shanty C. Hiya’s house
4. What did I see rising up?
A. Fire B. Smoke C. Balloon
5. The lady yelling for help was .... .
A. Far away B. Old C. Handicapped
6. Who was inside?
A. Hiya B. Old lady C. A boy
7. How was the son related to the yelling lady?
A. Grandson B. Neighbour C. Mother
8. Who kissed hundred times?
A. Neighbours B. Old lady C. Boy
9. She then ......... on my feet.
A. Tied B. Kicked C. Fell
10. I will not do such acts in future.
A. Can’t say B. No C. Yes
# 10. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 10
1. Which type of violence was referred?
A. Street violence B. No violence C. Non violence
2. What did Gandhiji ﬁght for?
A. He never fought B. Freedom C. Truth
3. When did Gandhiji steal?
A. Was old B. Was young C. Was a baby
4. What did rough him up mean?
A. Beat him up B. Do before ﬁnal work C. Scratch him up
5. What did he steal?
A. Purse B. Money C. Candy
6. From where did Gandhiji steal?
A. Pants B. India C. Purse
7. Who accepted the apology?
A. Gandhiji B. Father C. British
8. It was his ﬁrst brush with ... .
A. Truth B. British C. Purse
9. What was the surname of Mahatma?
A. Mohandas B. Karamchand C. None of these
10. Gandhiji was fond of the British in India.
A. Yes B. No C. At times
What follows are answers for each question set (for each of the above audio clips).
AUDIO CLIP 1
1. B 2. B 3. B 4. C 5. C 6. C 7. C 8. A 9. C 10. B
Once upon a time there were three princes who were all young and handsome.
But the eldest, although was weaker than the others, was the most learned.
He believed in physical ﬁtness. He also loved small animals, and had many
About two kilometer from their castle was a beautiful botanical garden.
It had few rare species of trees. The eldest prince used to do his morning
One day when he was in the middle of his yoga a bruised rabbit hopped
out of the nearby shrub. Its left eye was popping out and the left ear
half cut. It was bleeding.
The sight of the rabbit made the prince very sad.
On seeing the prince unhappy the rabbit told him that a stray dog had
attacked it last night. After the attack he had hid in the shrub.
The prince then took the rabbit to the nearest vet.
AUDIO CLIP 2
1. B 2. C 3. A 4. B 5. C 6. A 7. C 8. B 9. C 10. B
Mrs Tripathi is our neighbour. She lives in the ﬂat next to our ﬂat.
One Sunday, I was passing by her ﬂat. I saw her and her cousin, Threesha.
Threesha was coughing badly. She looked in great pain. Mrs Triptahi and
I took her to the nearest homeopath. The doctor gave her an injection.
And advised some medicine. Rest was advised for a day. “No ice cream or
cold drink,” said the doctor when he left.
In two days time Threesha was ﬁne. We then met and went to the nearby
ice cream parlour and had a cone of chocolate ﬂavoured ice cream.
The very next day Threesha again started coughing. Mrs Tripathi said
that it was bad idea to have ice cream. We learnt our lesson.
AUDIO CLIP 3
1. B 2. C 3. B 4. C 5. B 6. C 7. B 8. C 9. B 10. C
Last Saturday evening, my family and I went for lunch to Delhi Durbar at
Hiranandani, Powai. It is located next to Eldora building. We walked from
home to the restaurant.
We were warmly welcomed by the waitress. A welcome drink of buttermilk was
served. Then the menu card was given. We placed our order. It took a while
for lunch to arrive.
In the meantime, we all got busy on our mobile. We checked all our whatsapp
messages. We also took a few selﬁes and shared in our family group. While we
were having lunch few calls came on our mobiles, but we did not attend any.
We talked about the forthcoming Spelling Bee exam. We wondered how costly
are the orientation programs.
After lunch we went to the nearby park and sat in the shade for some time.
My dad lied down on the soft green grass and dozed oﬀ. My siblings sang few
songs. In all we had a great family outing. We decided to have one such outing
each month. But dad said, “the next outing. only after the spelling bee exam”.
AUDIO CLIP 4
1. C 2. C 3. C 4. B 5. A 6. B 7. C 8. B 9. C 10. B
I am sick for some time now. I had a slight return of fever last evening.
I am now somewhat ﬁne though weak.
My room is quite cosy and comfortable. A sofa bed is there which overlooks
our kitchen garden. I also could see all that passed on the lane. A while
back a saw a girl with a wooden clock under her arm. Then went a boy with
a hat. His hands were joined behind on his hips. He had a peculiar smile
on his face and he was humming.
Then came Mr Taneja, a very handsome man. He has always been very kind to
my family members. We often have evening tea together.
It was summertime now. The ﬂowers were blooming and the bees were buzzing.
We had not been ﬁshing yet. Once I get well we will go ﬁshing to Upvan lake
in Thane. We enjoy the scenery there. Also there is a good fast food joint
there where we have our brunch. He also makes available cold water bottles
and umbrella for our comfort while ﬁshing in the sun.
Oh!, how I wish I get well now so that we can go ﬁshing tomorrow.
AUDIO CLIP 5
1. B 2. C 3. B 4. C 5. A 6. C 7. B 8. B 9. A 10. B
You may recall that last month we decided to meet at Bhubaneswar on the
27th of January.
We were to visit our school teachers. Mrs Srivastava is now at Capital
Hospital after her heart operation. I have now found from the hospital
that we can meet her only between 5.30 and 7 in the evening. Mrs Srivastava
knows that we will be visiting her.
I suggest you come from Kendrapada by car. You plan to reach my home
around lunch time. We will have lunch together. We will then visit
Mr Varghese and Mr Pandey at the school around 4 in the afternoon.
At around 5 we will leave for the hospital. The hospital is only
4 miles away from the school, so we will be there on time. I will
be bringing ﬂowers for both of us to oﬀer to Mrs Srivastava. I will
try to have more tulips in the bouquets. After our visit to the hospital
you may suggest what to do as per your convenience.
I will call up Mr Pandey and Mr Varghese today evening and inform
them about our visit. I am sure they will be glad that we wish to
catch up with them after a decade.
AUDIO CLIP 6
1. B 2. A 3. C 4. B 5. A 6. B 7. A 8. B 9. C 10. A
Well, the worst has happened.
I found yesterday that my name was not in the list of successful
participants for the next round of selection. This time I had done
ery well in the written round and was very conﬁdent of being selected.
But see, how luck has played a trick!
I am feeling miserable and irritated. I had aimed for making it to
the ﬁnal round of selection and then try to clear it. Now my dreams
are shattered. My parents were also very sad when they came to know
Now tell me how to pass this sad information to my grandparents. They
were planning to accompany me to the ﬁnal exam venue. I am sorry,
Aanya I am inﬂicting all my troubles on you. But we've been friends
for so long and it has always been a relief sharing with you. Call
me soon and share your thoughts. I will catch up soon and have a long
AUDIO CLIP 7
1. C 2. B 3. C 4. C 5. C 6. B 7. B 8. C 9. A 10. A
I hope your vacation has begun and you're enjoying yourself. I wish
you happy holidays. I think you are back on 27 January.
Well, I have just seen a whatsapp message about a Russian ballet
at the Opera House. It is there from 25 January till 30 January.
Booking opens on 20th January. Do you want me to get a ticket for
you? You may recall we had planned to see it when it comes to town.
thI plan to book for my sister and myself for 29 January. If you
want me to book for you as well then do send me a whatsapp message.
I am sure the tickets will go like hot cakes. So we will be there
well before time on the ﬁrst day of booking. We plan to reach the
ticket window two hours before it opens.
Convey my regards to your grandparents and have a splendid time.
Missing you a lot my dear BFF.
AUDIO CLIP 8
1. B 2. B 3. A 4. B 5. B 6. C 7. C 8. B 9. A 10. C
Usher the New Year in company of friends and friends with unlimited
mocktails and a mouth watering spread of a seven course dinner.
Be a part of the biggest rooftop 'New Year Eve' party in the city to
ring in 2018. Marvel the breathtaking views of the city as you sip
your favourite mocktail and relish on the tastiest bites.
Groove to the beats of latest Bollywood tracks played live by our
DJ Cyrus, DJ Kamla and DJ Swamy. The pulsating music and warm ambience
will surely keep you on your feet all night long. The Lakeview promises
you grand New Year stay packages with complimentary, lavish brunch.
So, bid a sweet farewell to 2017 with an unforgettable New Year's Eve
party in the city.
AUDIO CLIP 9
1. B 2. C 3. B 4. B 5. B 6. C 7. A 8. B 9. C 10. B
I feel great to share with you about a wonderful thing that happened
yesterday. I am glad I did it. I saved the life of a boy from ﬁre.
Yesterday was Friday. I was on my way to Hiya's house to return her
notebooks. Just on the turning of 100 feet road, I heard cries from
a shanty. I noticed smoke rising up from its roof and also light ﬂames
were there. An old lady was yelling for help as she was unable to bring
out someone. A few old ladies were around her but none could do anything.
They did not dare to go in.
I rushed to the spot and was told there was a young boy inside. It was
the old lady's grandson. I rushed into the shanty and in no time came
out with the terriﬁed boy. They boy was holding me tight. He was unable
to believe he had been rescued. The grandmother took him in her arms and
kissed him possible a hundred times. She then fell on my feet and tears
of gratitude moistened my feet. I somehow stopped her from doing that.
I did receive minor burns on my arms and injuries on my feet, but nothing
to worry about. The joy that this gave me did not let me sleep on Friday
night. Now I wish to do more such acts if the occasion comes.
AUDIO CLIP 10
1. C 2. B 3. B 4. A 5. B 6. C 7. B 8. A 9. C 10. B
Mahatma Gandhi was one of the most famous freedom ﬁghters in the history
of mankind. He led India in its struggle for freedom against the British
rule. And he taught Indians to ﬁght for their rights through a unique way
India and the rest of the world remember him fondly as Gandhiji or Mahatma
Mahatma Gandhi was born on October 2nd, 1869 in Porbandar, Gujarat. His
parents named him Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.
When Mohandas was a teenager, he stole money from his father's purse.
Later, he regretted it and confessed his mistake. Gandhiji had expected
his father to rough him up for his misdeed. Instead, his father stayed
calm and just accepted his apology. This incident was Gandhiji's ﬁrst
brush with truth and humility.
Come let us together give your child the right beginning!