1st ever LISTENING COMPREHENSION BEE exam
"Listening is about understanding what one heard. A must for any good student". - Debashis Pati.
Here are 20 audio clips for Class 2.
"When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen." - Ernest Hemingway.
So, we wish to push your child to listen better ... with concentration.
LISTENER BEE is expected to be the "push".
Child has to listen to an audio clip and answer multiple choice questions.
Do not listen to more than one audio clip at a time.
The question sets are provided after Audio Clip 20 on this webpage.
Click on each audio clip and then immediately do the corresponding Question Set
with speed within 5 minutes. Do not read the Question Set before listening to
an audio clip.
Listen to an audio clip only once before doing it's Questions Set.
Practice these multiple times with sufficient time gap.
Audio clips in the exams will be different from these.
|# 1 : Audio Clip
|# 2 : Audio Clip
|# 3 : Audio Clip
|# 4 : Audio Clip
|# 5 : Audio Clip
|# 6 : Audio Clip
|# 7 : Audio Clip
|# 8 : Audio Clip
|# 9 : Audio Clip
|# 10 : Audio Clip
|# 11 : Audio Clip
|# 12 : Audio Clip
|# 13 : Audio Clip
|# 14 : Audio Clip
|# 15 : Audio Clip
|# 16 : Audio Clip
|# 17 : Audio Clip
|# 18 : Audio Clip
|# 19 : Audio Clip
|# 20 : Audio Clip
What follows are question sets for each of the above audio clips.
# 1. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 1
1. How many princes were there?
A. Five B. Three C. Two
2. How were the princes?
A. Old B. Young C. Baby
3. Who was the most learned?
A. Youngest B. Eldest C. None of them
4. What did the eldest like?
A. Physical ﬁtness B. Small animals C. Both A and B
5. What was two kilometer away?
A. Temple B. Castle C. Garden
6. Where were the rare species of trees?
A. Palace B. Castle C. Botanical garden
7. What did the eldest do in the morning?
A. Jog B. Horse riding C. Yoga
8. Which bruised animal was there?
A. Rabbit B. Dog C. Lamb
9. Who had attacked the bruised animal?
A. Leopard B. Cobra C. Dog
10. What was the shrub used for?
A. To beautify B. To hide C. To make X-mas tree
# 2. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 2
1. Who was Mrs Tripathi?
A. Grandma B. Neighbour C. Cousin
2. When did I pass by her ﬂat?
A. Today B. Saturday C. Sunday
3. Whom did I see at Mrs Tripathi’s ﬂat?
A. Her cousin B. Her daughter C. Her sister
4. Why was Threesha in pain?
A. Having fever B. Coughing badly C. Sprained ankle
5. Where did we take Threesha?
A. Nurse B. Surgeon C. Homeopath
6. Who gave the injection?
A. Doctor B. Nurse C. Compounder
7. What was Threesha not supposed to have?
A. Ice cream B. Cold drink C. Both
8. In how many days was Threesha ﬁne?
A. One B. Two C. Three
9. Which parlour did we visit?
A. Beauty B. Food C. Ice cream
10. What happened the day after the visit to the parlour?
A. Fever B. Coughing C. Stomach ache
# 3. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 3
1. On which day did we go out for lunch?
A. Friday B. Saturday C. Sunday
2. How did we go from home to the restaurant?
A. By taxi B. By auto C. Walking
3. What was served to welcome us?
A. Cold drink B. Butter milk C. Juice
4. Then the ______ card was given.
A. Rate B. Visiting C. Menu
5. Did the lunch arrive immediately?
A. Yes B. No C. Can’t say
6. What did we share in our family group?
A. Menu B. Welcome drink C. Selﬁes
7. We attended to calls while having lunch?
A. Yes B. No C. Yes, one call only
8. We talked about the ........... Spelling bee exam.
A. Just over B. WIZ National C. Forthcoming
9. Which program was costly?
A. Thali B. Orientation C. Dessert
10. Who dozed oﬀ at the nearby park?
A. Mom B. Siblings C. Dad
# 4. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 4
1. I am ... for some time now.
A. Out of town B. Hungry C. Sick
2. How is my room?
A. Cosy B. Comfortable C. Both
3. What could I see from my room?
A. Kitchen garden B. Upvan lake C. Lane
4. The ﬂowers were ........ and the bees were buzzing.
A. Falling B. Blooming C. Dead
5. Who passed on the lane ﬁrst?
A. Girl B. Boy C. Mr Taneja
6. What is the one word for “a late morning meal eaten instead of breakfast and lunch”?
A. Super B. Brunch C. Meal
7. Why do we go to Upvan lake?
A. For eating B. Get water / umbrella C. For ﬁshing
8. Who was handsome and had evening tea with us?
A. Our neighbour B. Mr Taneja C. Fisherman
9. Why was it said, “How I wish I get well now”?
A. To go out B. To meet Mr Taneja C. To go ﬁshing
10. Whom did I see humming?
A. A girl B. A boy C. None
# 5. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 5
1. In which month were we to meet?
A. December B. January C. February
2. Why did we plan to meet?
A. Visit our school B. Visit Capital Hospital C. Visit school teachers
3. I suggest you come from Kendrapada by .....
A. Bus B. Car C. Train
4. Where were we to have lunch?
A. School B. Hospital C. Home
5. Where were we to go ﬁrst?
A. School B. Hospital C. None of the two
6. Which ﬂower will be more in the bouquet?
A. Orchid B. Rose C. Tulip
7. How many teachers were we to meet at school?
A. None B. Two C. Three
8. The hospital is only 4 ..... away from the school.
A. Kilometer B. Mile C. Hours
9. Were the teachers to be informed about our visit?
A. Yes B. No C. Can’t say
10. What is one word for a period of ten years?
A. Century B. Decade C. Years
# 6. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 6
1. What has happened?
A. Best B. Worst C. Unknown
2. I was selected for the next round.
A. No B. Yes C. Can’t say
3. This time I had done very well in the ..... round .
A. Oral B. Final C. Written
4. What is blamed for the failure?
A. Trick B. Luck C. Exam
5. What got shattered due to the result fo the exam?
A. Dreams B. Exam C. Glass
6. What is the antonym of happiness, felt by my parents?
A. Happy B. Sad C. Glad
7. Who informed the grandparents about my result?
A. None B. I C. My parents
8. Who were to accompany me for the ﬁnal exam?
A. Parents B. Grandparents C. Friend
9. Why was Aanya being told all this?
A. Get relief B. Friend for long time C. Both the above
10. 'Catch up' is a phrasal verb used. What was I to do after catching up?
A. Long evening walk B. Short evening walk C. Have tea
# 7. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 7
1. Where did I see the message?
A. SMS B. e mail C. whatsapp
2. What was the message about?
A. Russian doll B. Russian ballet C. Russian circus
3. In which month was the discussed event?
A. December B. February C. January
4. What was to be booked?
A. Russia B. Program C. Ticket
5. For whom I had planned to buy ticket?
A. Myself B. My sister C. Both of us
6. Which words represent ‘a fast selling item‘?
A. Hot coﬀee B. Hot cake C. Hot dog
7. Where do I plan to reach before time?
A. Opera House B. Ticket window C. Friend’s place
8. Convey my regards to your ...... .
A. Goodself B. Parents C. Grandparents
9. Whom was I informing?
A. My B F F B. My sister C. My parents
10. How did I ask for the message to be sent?
A. whatsapp B. Telephone call C. Letter
# 8. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 8
1. Which event was it about?
A. New Year 2017 B. New Year 2018 C. Lakeview
2. Where was the event to be help?
A. Banquet B. Rooftop C. Basement
3. What did all night long mean?
A. through the night B. through the day C. tonight
4. How many DJs were mentioned?
A. One B. More than one C. None
5. Does mocktail have a tail?
A. Yes B. No C. Can’t say
6. Which tracks were to be played?
A. Hollywood B. Tollywood C. Bollywood
7. How many course dinner was mentioned?
A. Five B. Thali C. Seven
8. There was mention of ...... brunch..
A. Supplementary B. Complimentary C. Through the night
9. What is usher in ‘usher the New Year?’
A. Announce B. Party C. Brunch
10. New Year party is a/an .... event.
A. Daily B. Monthly C. Annual
# 9. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 9
1. When did the event shared by me happen?
A. Today B. Yesterday C. Tomorrow
2. What was saved by me?
A. Money B. Time C. Life
3. I heard cries from the ... .
A. Hut B. Shanty C. Hiya’s house
4. What did I see rising up?
A. Fire B. Smoke C. Balloon
5. The lady yelling for help was .... .
A. Far away B. Old C. Handicapped
6. Who was inside?
A. Hiya B. Old lady C. A boy
7. How was the son related to the yelling lady?
A. Grandson B. Neighbour C. Mother
8. Who kissed hundred times?
A. Neighbours B. Old lady C. Boy
9. She then ......... on my feet.
A. Tied B. Kicked C. Fell
10. I will not do such acts in future.
A. Can’t say B. No C. Yes
# 10. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 10
1. Which type of violence was referred?
A. Street violence B. No violence C. Non violence
2. What did Gandhiji ﬁght for?
A. He never fought B. Freedom C. Truth
3. When did Gandhiji steal?
A. Was old B. Was young C. Was a baby
4. What did rough him up mean?
A. Beat him up B. Do before ﬁnal work C. Scratch him up
5. What did he steal?
A. Purse B. Money C. Candy
6. From where did Gandhiji steal?
A. Pants B. India C. Purse
7. Who accepted the apology?
A. Gandhiji B. Father C. British
8. It was his ﬁrst brush with ... .
A. Truth B. British C. Purse
9. What was the surname of Mahatma?
A. Mohandas B. Karamchand C. None of these
10. Gandhiji was fond of the British in India.
A. Yes B. No C. At times
# 11. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 11
1. Is pumpkin a fruit?
A. May be B. No C. Yes
2. To which family does pumpkin belong?
A. Vegetable B. Fruit C. Cucumber
3. Pumpkins are commonly used for ... decorations.
A. Marriage B. Halloween C. Christmas
4. From where did Jack-o-lantern start?
A. India B. USA C. Ireland
5. Pumpkin has 90% ...... .
A. Thick Shells B. Big seeds C. Water
6. Pumpkins are good source for ... .
A. Vitamin A B. Fiber C. Both
7. Pumpkin is not a heavy item.
A. Always correct B. Not correct C. Only during winter
8. No one eats ﬂowers of a pumpkin plant.
A. Correct B. Incorrect C. Tribals eat it
9. Pumpkin is grown across countries.
A. Yes B. No C. In India only
10. Flowers of a pumpkin plant are .... ?
A. Male B. Female C. Both
# 12. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 12
1. The humming bird is a mid sized bird.
A. Correct B. Incorrect C. Not known
2. Its eggs are bigger than a currency .... .
A. Note B. Coin C. Name
3. Which part of its body causes the humming noise?.
A. Mouth B. Beak C. Wings
4. Humming bird can walk and hop like a rabbit.
A. Yes B. No C. Can’t say
5. Like other birds it cannot ﬂy backward.
A. Agree B. Disagree C. Only on water
6. A humming bird, like dogs, has a great sense of smell.
A. Yes B. No C. Used to be earlier
7. A humming bird can ﬂy upside down.
A. Don’t joke B. It’s a fact C. All birds can do it.
8. It laps .... with its tongue.
A. Air B. Flower C. Nectar
9. Given its size it can only breathe slowly?
A. Yes B. No C. Can’t say
10. It ﬂaps its wings with great speed and also ﬂies fast.
A. No B. Yes C. Can’t say
# 13. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 13
1. Name one of the largest ﬂying birds?
A. Kite B. Peacock C. Owl
2. Peacocks eat ... .
A. Insects B. Seeds C. Both
3. Peacocks are .... in ﬂying.
A. Strong B. Weak C. Cannot ﬂy
4. Which is the male bird?
A. Peacock B. Peahen C. Pearooster
5. Weakness of peacocks is their need to stay alone.
A. False B. True C. Not known
6. What is a group of peacocks called?
A. Herd B. School C. Party
7. What is the tail of a peacock covered with?
A. Wings B. Scales C. Feathers
8. What do peacocks display when they dance?
A. Tongue B. Feathers C. Funny face
9. Peacocks feed on dead animals.
A. False B. True C. Only when it rains
10. They dance before ..... .
A. Earthquake B. Autumn C. Rain
# 14. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 14
1. What did I see before going to sleep?
A. Comedy ﬁlm B. Horror ﬁlm C. TV serial
2. The .... from the movie were in my mind.
A. Dialogues B. Characters C. Scenes
3. Why was there thunder and lightning?
A. Monsoon time B. Night time C. Volcano had erupted
4. Which is one word for ‘at a lower level than’?
A. Behind B. Beside C. Beneath
5. What sound did I hear?
A. Sound of thunder B. Strange sound C. Both
6. Who was frightened and yelled?
A. A cat B. I C. Thunder
7. The door of my room was ... .
A. Broken B. Open C. Closed
8. Who knelt down and laughed?
A. I B. Mom C. Dad
9. What was on the palm?
A. Kitten B. Puppy C. Nestling
10. What did the animal found become?
A. Ghost B. Stray C. Pet
# 15. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 15
1. Which Tales was this about?
A. Folk B. Moral C. Jataka
2. They are a source for ... behaviour for us.
A. Good B. Moral C. Honest
3. In which language were the stories?
A. Hindi B. English C. Pali
4. These stories are about incarnations of ... .
A. Gandhiji B. Palam C. Buddha
5. How did the stories reach worldwide?
A. Advertisement B. Radio C. Translation
6. How many tales are there?
A. 500 B. 1000 C. 100
7. The stories are about which forms of someone?
A. Human form B. Animal form C. Both
8. Each story had a ... ending.
A. Sad B. Happy C. Funny
9. What are believed to mark locations from the tales?
A. Temples B. Mountains C. Stupas
10. Where was the pilgrim from?
A. North India B. China C. Pali
# 16. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 16
1. What happens when two objects cross path in the sky?
A. Light blocked by one B. Revolution C. Earthquake
2. What comes in between during solar eclipse?
A. Moon B. Sun C. Earth
3. If the two cross slightly it is called the ... solar eclipse.
A. Partial B. Total C. Crossed
4. When does everything become dark?
A. Partial eclipse B. Total eclipse C. Crossed eclipse
5. Can we experience the eclipse?
A. Yes B. No C. In our dreams only
6. What determines if we can experience a eclipse?
A. Our knowledge B. Our position C. Our sleeping habits
7. “Be at the right place” means being at a place on your right hand side?
A. No B. Yes C. Has no meaning
8. Which of these are eclipses?
A. Solar B. Lunar C. Both
9. During lunar eclipse Moon turns ... ?
A. Red B. Black C. Is invisible
10. What gets bent while passing through the Earth's atmosphere?
A. Sound B. Light C. Clouds
# 17. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 17
1. ... is the oldest human carrying ﬂight method.
A. Balloon B. Air balloon C. Hot air balloon
2. What is the bag of the balloon called?
A. Bag B. Hot C. Envelope
3. What does the bag hold?
A. Heated air B. Air C. Passengers
4. Hot air is less dense than ..... air.
A. Heated B. Outside C. Oxygen
5. It is .... for passengers to breathe at 21km height?
A. Easy B. Convenient C. Difficult
6. What is needed after about 5 kilometer?
A. Heated air B. Oxygen C. Outside air
7. Where is the vent located?
A. At the middle B. At the base C. At the top
8. What helps control the speed of rise and fall?
A. Vent B. Basket C. Heated air
9. Passengers in the balloon stand in a ... basket.
A. Wicker B. Weaker C. Metallic
10. The basket is beneath the ... .
A. Envelope B. Vent C. Not known
# 18. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 18
1. There are over ... varieties of tomato.
A. 8,000 B. 1,000 C. Not known
2. The heaviest tomato was grown in ... .
A. India B. China C. USA
3. Which is the largest tomato producing country?
A. China B. USA C. India
4. One can eat it ... as well as cooked.
A. Ripe B. Boiled C. Raw
5. Tomato is a rich source of ... .
A. Juice B. Vitamins C. Everything
6. Its acid can cure ... .
A. Headache B. Cough C. Pimples
7. Where is tomato juice, the official state beverage?
A. Ohio B. China C. India
8. Where does the biggest tomato festival take place?
A. USA B. China C. Spain
9. What is done with tomatoes at the festival?
A. Thrown B. Eaten C. Cooked
10. Tomatoes are always red in colour.
A. True B. Let me ﬁnd out C. Mostly
# 19. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 19
1. Which bird was talked about now?
A. Pigeon B. Crow C. Both
2. Who fed the bird?
A. Cooks B. Birds C. No one
3. What was close to the kitchen?
A. A tree B. Bird’s nest C. Both
4. Why did concerned make friendship?
A. For shelter B. For food C. For aﬀection
5. What got shared because of the friendship?
A. Nest B. Cooks C. Love and aﬀection
6. The noise took place because it hit the ... in the kitchen.
A. Cook B. Ladle C. Fish
7. It went through the ..... to reach the kitchen.
A. Window B. Door C. Chimney
8. Someone died in the story.
A. Yes B. No C. Can’t say
9. They agreed to share food.
A. Yes B. No C. Can’t say
10. Both liked to have the same type of food.
A. Yes B. No C. Can’t say
# 20. Questions : AUDIO CLIP 20
1. Who was Akbar?
A. Birbal’s friend B. Courtier C. Emperor
2. Who is person who attends a king’s court as an adviser?
A. King B. Courtier C. Security
3. The courtiers were ... on hearing the question.
A. Speechless B. Ashamed C. Laughing
4. Who asked a peculiar question?
A. Akbar B. Birbal C. Courtier
5. Birbal came in while the question was being asked.
A. Yes B. No C. Did not come at all
6. What was the question about?
A. Crows in the sky B. Crows in the kingdom C. Crows in the city
7. People counted before answering the question.
A. Can’t say B. Yes C. No
8. Who asked, "How can you be so sure?"
A. Akbar B. Birbal C. Courtier
9. Birbal took time to answer the question.
A. Yes B. No C. Can’t say
10. Who patted on his thigh?
A. Akbar B. Birbal C. Courtier
What follows are answers for each question set (for each of the above audio clips).
AUDIO CLIP 1
1. B 2. B 3. B 4. C 5. C 6. C 7. C 8. A 9. C 10. B
Once upon a time there were three princes who were all young and handsome.
But the eldest, although was weaker than the others, was the most learned.
He believed in physical ﬁtness. He also loved small animals, and had many
About two kilometer from their castle was a beautiful botanical garden.
It had few rare species of trees. The eldest prince used to do his morning
One day when he was in the middle of his yoga a bruised rabbit hopped
out of the nearby shrub. Its left eye was popping out and the left ear
half cut. It was bleeding.
The sight of the rabbit made the prince very sad.
On seeing the prince unhappy the rabbit told him that a stray dog had
attacked it last night. After the attack he had hid in the shrub.
The prince then took the rabbit to the nearest vet.
AUDIO CLIP 2
1. B 2. C 3. A 4. B 5. C 6. A 7. C 8. B 9. C 10. B
Mrs Tripathi is our neighbour. She lives in the ﬂat next to our ﬂat.
One Sunday, I was passing by her ﬂat. I saw her and her cousin, Threesha.
Threesha was coughing badly. She looked in great pain. Mrs Triptahi and
I took her to the nearest homeopath. The doctor gave her an injection.
And advised some medicine. Rest was advised for a day. “No ice cream or
cold drink,” said the doctor when he left.
In two days time Threesha was ﬁne. We then met and went to the nearby
ice cream parlour and had a cone of chocolate ﬂavoured ice cream.
The very next day Threesha again started coughing. Mrs Tripathi said
that it was bad idea to have ice cream. We learnt our lesson.
AUDIO CLIP 3
1. B 2. C 3. B 4. C 5. B 6. C 7. B 8. C 9. B 10. C
Last Saturday evening, my family and I went for lunch to Delhi Durbar at
Hiranandani, Powai. It is located next to Eldora building. We walked from
home to the restaurant.
We were warmly welcomed by the waitress. A welcome drink of buttermilk was
served. Then the menu card was given. We placed our order. It took a while
for lunch to arrive.
In the meantime, we all got busy on our mobile. We checked all our whatsapp
messages. We also took a few selﬁes and shared in our family group. While we
were having lunch few calls came on our mobiles, but we did not attend any.
We talked about the forthcoming Spelling Bee exam. We wondered how costly
are the orientation programs.
After lunch we went to the nearby park and sat in the shade for some time.
My dad lied down on the soft green grass and dozed oﬀ. My siblings sang few
songs. In all we had a great family outing. We decided to have one such outing
each month. But dad said, “the next outing. only after the spelling bee exam”.
AUDIO CLIP 4
1. C 2. C 3. C 4. B 5. A 6. B 7. C 8. B 9. C 10. B
I am sick for some time now. I had a slight return of fever last evening.
I am now somewhat ﬁne though weak.
My room is quite cosy and comfortable. A sofa bed is there which overlooks
our kitchen garden. I also could see all that passed on the lane. A while
back a saw a girl with a wooden clock under her arm. Then went a boy with
a hat. His hands were joined behind on his hips. He had a peculiar smile
on his face and he was humming.
Then came Mr Taneja, a very handsome man. He has always been very kind to
my family members. We often have evening tea together.
It was summertime now. The ﬂowers were blooming and the bees were buzzing.
We had not been ﬁshing yet. Once I get well we will go ﬁshing to Upvan lake
in Thane. We enjoy the scenery there. Also there is a good fast food joint
there where we have our brunch. He also makes available cold water bottles
and umbrella for our comfort while ﬁshing in the sun.
Oh!, how I wish I get well now so that we can go ﬁshing tomorrow.
AUDIO CLIP 5
1. B 2. C 3. B 4. C 5. A 6. C 7. B 8. B 9. A 10. B
You may recall that last month we decided to meet at Bhubaneswar on the
27th of January.
We were to visit our school teachers. Mrs Srivastava is now at Capital
Hospital after her heart operation. I have now found from the hospital
that we can meet her only between 5.30 and 7 in the evening. Mrs Srivastava
knows that we will be visiting her.
I suggest you come from Kendrapada by car. You plan to reach my home
around lunch time. We will have lunch together. We will then visit
Mr Varghese and Mr Pandey at the school around 4 in the afternoon.
At around 5 we will leave for the hospital. The hospital is only
4 miles away from the school, so we will be there on time. I will
be bringing ﬂowers for both of us to oﬀer to Mrs Srivastava. I will
try to have more tulips in the bouquets. After our visit to the hospital
you may suggest what to do as per your convenience.
I will call up Mr Pandey and Mr Varghese today evening and inform
them about our visit. I am sure they will be glad that we wish to
catch up with them after a decade.
AUDIO CLIP 6
1. B 2. A 3. C 4. B 5. A 6. B 7. A 8. B 9. C 10. A
Well, the worst has happened.
I found yesterday that my name was not in the list of successful
participants for the next round of selection. This time I had done
ery well in the written round and was very conﬁdent of being selected.
But see, how luck has played a trick!
I am feeling miserable and irritated. I had aimed for making it to
the ﬁnal round of selection and then try to clear it. Now my dreams
are shattered. My parents were also very sad when they came to know
Now tell me how to pass this sad information to my grandparents. They
were planning to accompany me to the ﬁnal exam venue. I am sorry,
Aanya I am inﬂicting all my troubles on you. But we've been friends
for so long and it has always been a relief sharing with you. Call
me soon and share your thoughts. I will catch up soon and have a long
AUDIO CLIP 7
1. C 2. B 3. C 4. C 5. C 6. B 7. B 8. C 9. A 10. A
I hope your vacation has begun and you're enjoying yourself. I wish
you happy holidays. I think you are back on 27 January.
Well, I have just seen a whatsapp message about a Russian ballet
at the Opera House. It is there from 25 January till 30 January.
Booking opens on 20th January. Do you want me to get a ticket for
you? You may recall we had planned to see it when it comes to town.
thI plan to book for my sister and myself for 29 January. If you
want me to book for you as well then do send me a whatsapp message.
I am sure the tickets will go like hot cakes. So we will be there
well before time on the ﬁrst day of booking. We plan to reach the
ticket window two hours before it opens.
Convey my regards to your grandparents and have a splendid time.
Missing you a lot my dear BFF.
AUDIO CLIP 8
1. B 2. B 3. A 4. B 5. B 6. C 7. C 8. B 9. A 10. C
Usher the New Year in company of friends and friends with unlimited
mocktails and a mouth watering spread of a seven course dinner.
Be a part of the biggest rooftop 'New Year Eve' party in the city to
ring in 2018. Marvel the breathtaking views of the city as you sip
your favourite mocktail and relish on the tastiest bites.
Groove to the beats of latest Bollywood tracks played live by our
DJ Cyrus, DJ Kamla and DJ Swamy. The pulsating music and warm ambience
will surely keep you on your feet all night long. The Lakeview promises
you grand New Year stay packages with complimentary, lavish brunch.
So, bid a sweet farewell to 2017 with an unforgettable New Year's Eve
party in the city.
AUDIO CLIP 9
1. B 2. C 3. B 4. B 5. B 6. C 7. A 8. B 9. C 10. B
I feel great to share with you about a wonderful thing that happened
yesterday. I am glad I did it. I saved the life of a boy from ﬁre.
Yesterday was Friday. I was on my way to Hiya's house to return her
notebooks. Just on the turning of 100 feet road, I heard cries from
a shanty. I noticed smoke rising up from its roof and also light ﬂames
were there. An old lady was yelling for help as she was unable to bring
out someone. A few old ladies were around her but none could do anything.
They did not dare to go in.
I rushed to the spot and was told there was a young boy inside. It was
the old lady's grandson. I rushed into the shanty and in no time came
out with the terriﬁed boy. They boy was holding me tight. He was unable
to believe he had been rescued. The grandmother took him in her arms and
kissed him possible a hundred times. She then fell on my feet and tears
of gratitude moistened my feet. I somehow stopped her from doing that.
I did receive minor burns on my arms and injuries on my feet, but nothing
to worry about. The joy that this gave me did not let me sleep on Friday
night. Now I wish to do more such acts if the occasion comes.
AUDIO CLIP 10
1. C 2. B 3. B 4. A 5. B 6. C 7. B 8. A 9. C 10. B
Mahatma Gandhi was one of the most famous freedom ﬁghters in the history
of mankind. He led India in its struggle for freedom against the British
rule. And he taught Indians to ﬁght for their rights through a unique way
India and the rest of the world remember him fondly as Gandhiji or Mahatma
Mahatma Gandhi was born on October 2nd, 1869 in Porbandar, Gujarat. His
parents named him Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.
When Mohandas was a teenager, he stole money from his father's purse.
Later, he regretted it and confessed his mistake. Gandhiji had expected
his father to rough him up for his misdeed. Instead, his father stayed
calm and just accepted his apology. This incident was Gandhiji's ﬁrst
brush with truth and humility.
AUDIO CLIP 11
1. C 2. C 3. B 4. C 5. C 6. C 7. B 8. B 9. A 10. C
Pumpkin is a fruit and is part of the cucumber family. It is grown across
countries. The heaviest known pumpkin was over 800 kg.
The name pumpkin has its origin in the Greek word pepon. It means large
Interestingly, pumpkins are commonly used for Halloween decorations.
Jack-o-lantern is a carved pumpkin with candles illuminating it. It is
believed that this started from Ireland.
These have thick shells and have a spherical shape. Their weight varies.
It has 90 per cent water.
A pumpkin plant has two types of ﬂowers, a male ﬂower and a female ﬂower.
Interestingly these ﬂowers can be eaten.
Pumpkins are good source of ﬁber, vitamin A and potassium.
AUDIO CLIP 12
1. B 2. B 3. C 4. B 5. B 6. B 7. B 8. C 9. B 10. B
The tiniest bird is the humming bird. Its eggs are very small, much smaller
than a currency coin.
It makes a humming noise when ﬂapping its wings. That is how it got its
name. It can hover and ﬂy backwards. It can also ﬂy upside down.
It has no sense of smell. It laps nectar with its tongue. It cannot walk
Its a small thing but has many fast things about it. It breathes fast,
about 250 times per minute. Its heart beats more than 1,000 times in
a minute. While ﬂying its wings ﬂap over 50 times per second. And can
ﬂy over 90 kilometer per hour.
AUDIO CLIP 13
1. B 2. C 3. B 4. A 5. A 6. C 7. C 8. B 9. A 10. C
Peacocks are frequently mentioned in Indian folk tales, mythology,
carvings and paintings.
It is the largest among ﬂying birds. They are weak in ﬂying and
spend most of the time moving around on their feet. They eat insects
as well as seeds.
Peacock is a male bird and the female is the peahen. They have a strong
need for companionship. They are heartbroken when alone. A group of
peacocks is called a party.
They have a tail. It is covered with beautiful feathers. These form
the largest part of their body. They display it in a spectacular manner.
It is believed that they dance before it is about to rain.
AUDIO CLIP 14
1. B 2. C 3. A 4. C 5. C 6. B 7. B 8. C 9. A 10. C
Late one night I went to sleep after watching a horror movie on the
television. The scenes from the movie were fresh in my mind.
It was monsoon time and so there was thunder and lightning outside.
I heard a sound from beneath my bed. It was a strange sound. It stood
out during loud thunder.
I was frightened to move. I felt my legs had frozen. It was all out
of fear of the unknown. I was afraid to move my head as well.
I yelled for my parents. The door of my room was open so they could
hear it in spite of the thunder.
I pointed my hand under the bed. My father knelt down and started
laughing. He moved and in his palm was a cute little kitten. The
kitten was frightened. We did not know how it was there. But I was
glad to have a cute pet in the house.
AUDIO CLIP 15
1. C 2. B 3. C 4. C 5. C 6. A 7. C 8. B 9. C 10. B
Jataka Tales are very old and have a long tradition of being passed
on from one generation to the other. These stories are stories of
wisdom, and morals written centuries back in the Pali language.
These were later translated and reached people across the world.
These stories are mainly about past incarnations of Buddha, in both
human and animal form. They help teach values of self-sacriﬁce,
honesty and other good values to us. It is believed that there
are over 500 such tales. In each story, the character of Buddha
was involved in solving a problem and bring about a happy ending.
Many stupas in northern India are said to mark locations from the
Jātaka tales. The Chinese pilgrim Xuanzang reported several of
The Jataka Tales are a source for moral behaviour for us.
AUDIO CLIP 16
1. A 2. A 3. A 4. B 5. A 6. B 7. A 8. C 9. A 10. B
When any two objects in the sky cross paths, one will block the
light of the other. This light is the sunlight. When the Moon
comes between the Earth and the Sun, the light reaching us gets
aﬀected. When this happens it is called the solar eclipse. If
the two cross slightly it is called the partial solar eclipse.
If light is totally blocked then it is the total solar eclipse.
During total eclipse everything becomes dark. To experience the
solar eclipse one who as to be at the right place on the Earth.
When the Earth passes between the Moon and the Sun, it is called
the lunar eclipse. During a lunar eclipse the Moon turns dark red.
This happens because the light passing through the Earth's atmosphere
gets bent onto the Moon.
AUDIO CLIP 17
1. C 2. C 3. A 4. B 5. C 6. B 7. C 8. A 9. A 10. A
Hot air balloon is the oldest human carrying ﬂight method. Hot air
balloons are currently used for pleasure trips, business advertising
as well as sports.
It has a bag called envelope. It is specially made to contain heated
air. These balloons can ﬂoat in air as the hot air inside the envelope
is less dense compared to the outer, colder air.
Hot air balloons manage to ﬂy great heights. It can be over 21 kilometer.
At that height it is diﬃcult to breathe. Oxygen is needed after about
The top of the balloon typically has a vent. It allows the pilot to
control the speed of rise and fall of the balloon. Passengers in the
balloon stand in a wicker basket. The basket is beneath the envelope.
AUDIO CLIP 18
1. B 2. C 3. A 4. C 5. B 6. C 7. A 8. C 9. A 10. C
There are over 7,500 varieties of tomato across the world.
The heaviest tomato is believed to be over 3.5 kilogram, grown in USA.
The largest tomato producing country is China. The other two big producers
are the United States and India.
Tomato is juicy. Mostly it is red in colour. One can eat it raw as well
as cooked. These are rich sources for vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Its acid can help cure pimples and blemishes.
Well, its juice is Ohio's oﬃcial state beverage.
Each year a tomato festival is held in a small town in Spain, called Bunol.
It is the biggest tomato festival and goes by the name La Tomatina. In it,
around 40,000 people throw around 150000 tomatoes at each other.
AUDIO CLIP 19
1. C 2. A 3. B 4. B 5. A 6. B 7. C 8. A 9. B 10. B
Once upon a time there was a pigeon that lived on a nest close to a kitchen.
The cooks at the kitchen liked it very much. They often used to feed it grain.
The pigeon liked all this and was happy.
One day a crow saw the pigeon and saw how it was getting food and aﬀection.
After a few days it made friendship with the pigeon. Using their friendship
it made the pigeon share the nest with it. The pigeon then told it that they
could spend time together discussing various topics.
But when it came to food both had to get their own. So the crow had to search
for its own food. But the crow was not ﬁne with this. The reason it had made
the pigeon a friend was the food. The crow wanted to eat meat but the pigeon
got only grains from the kitchen.
One day the crow went to the kitchen to get food. It went down the chimney
into the kitchen. It got the smell of ﬁsh being cooked. She tried to get the
ﬁsh. It hit a ladle and that caused a noise. The cook reacted to the noise.
He caught hold of the crow and killed it. The pigeon had never thought of
getting in and lived happily with the cook's love and care.
AUDIO CLIP 20
1. C 2. B 3. A 4. A 5. B 6. C 7. C 8. A 9. B 10. A
Emperor Akbar was known to put riddles and puzzles to his courtiers. He often
asked questions that were strange, but witty. It took much wisdom to answer
One day he asked a peculiar question. The courtiers were speechless on hearing
it. Akbar looked silently at his courtiers. As he looked around, one after the
other head began to hang low as if searching for an answer. It was then that
Birbal walked in to the courtyard. Birbal guessed the situation. He immediately
asked, "May I know the question. I also wish to try for the answer".
Akbar immediately said, "How many crows are there in this city?" Birbal replied
immediately "There are ﬁfty thousand ﬁve hundred and eighty nine crows today".
"How can you be so sure?" asked a surprised Akbar.
Birbal replied, "You may make your men count and conﬁrm. If you ﬁnd more it
would mean that some have come to visit their relatives. If you ﬁnd less
numbers then it would mean some have gone away to visit their relatives.”
Akbar understood and gave his peculiar smile with a pat on his thigh.
Come let us together give your child the right beginning!